Blwyddyn 2

Welcome to the Sharks Class page!

I hope you have all had a great summer holiday. I am very much looking forward to the year ahead, and wanted to provide you with some information for the Autumn Term. We are fortunate to have Miss Williams as our teaching assistant for this year, who will help support the children.

Topics

Our first topic is ‘Amazing Africa’, of which the main focus will be Kenya in Africa. The children have taken part in a planning session already where they thought about the questions they would like to find out about the topic of Africa. The children will be learning about where Africa is, African animals, the weather, where Africa is in the world and how it compares to the UK.

Every Tuesday morning I will have time out of class for planning (PPA). During this time, Mr McNaughton will teach the children. For this half term, he will be teaching the children P.E and Maths.

P.E

P.E will be on a Tuesday morning (starting Tuesday 7th Sept) and will be throwing and catching skills for this half term. Please can you send your child into school dressed in their P.E kit every week? As we are hoping to be outdoors, please ensure your child has a jumper or zip up jacket, trousers and suitable footwear.

Home Learning

At the beginning of each term a homework menu will be sent home for the whole half term based on the topic that the children are working on in class. Children will be expected to choose a homework task to complete on a fortnightly basis to bring into school on set dates.

Home Learning Menu Autumn Term: Amazing Africa Home learning Autumn 1

P3-P7 Spelling Programme – Broughton PrimarySpelling

Children will also have weekly spelling and times tables tests. The spelling words and tables will be given out on a Monday and tests will take place the following Monday. I will assess all the children at the start of Year 2 and they will then be placed into spelling groups for that term. I will reassess the children at the start of each term and the children will be grouped accordingly. All children will start to learn the 2x tables.

Reading

Reading is very important at this age and I ask that you support your children in their reading by regularly listening to them read, and also by reading to them at home. We will listen to the children read in school weekly and we will notify you of the day you should send your child’s book and reading record into school, in order for us to change their books. This will be in the front of your child’s reading record book. If you do forget to send the book to school, please send it the following day. Water bottles

We believe that children should have access to water and if you wish, you can provide your child with a labelled water bottle that they can use throughout the day. Water bottles will be sent home to be washed and refilled daily.

Equipment

Your child is welcome to bring a pencil case into school this year if they want to, but we will also continue to provide equipment that they will need for each day.

Thank you for your support, please don’t hesitate to contact me if you want to discuss anything further.

Mrs Tidy