Blwyddyn 5

Happy New Year! Blwyddyn Newydd Dda!

Croeso nol! I hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas and New Year and is excited to come back to school! After such a tremendous first term, I cannot wait to get started and look forward to welcoming the children back to continue with our fabulous learning journey in Year 5!

Our second topic of the year is Bend and Flow: Rivers of Wales and the WorldThroughout this topic, we will be learning about the various rivers of Wales as well as some of the more well known rivers from around the world. We will also be studying the different parts of a river, the water cycle, pollution, how rivers act as habitats for different animals and how they have an impact on the environment and ecosystems.

You can find our topic web for this term here;

Topic Web – Rivers

Important Dates

Home Learning

A menu of SIX tasks will be given to each pupil and they will have a choice which activity they complete over each two week period. By the end of the term they will be expected to have completed all six tasks in full and to the best of their ability. Their work will be shared and celebrated within the classroom each fortnight and some will be displayed on our Topic board.

There will be a checklist displayed in the class which the pupils will tick off once they have completed a task. This ensures that I can keep a track of who has done what, as well as allowing the pupils to take an increased responsibility for their learning and allowing them to see what they still have left to complete.

Home Learning Menu – Spring

Spellings and Times Table test will be on Fridays. Mental Maths Arithmetic books are also available upon request. These are not compulsory but if you feel your child may require one, please do not hesitate to ask.

P.E. lessons will be on Thursdays. It is essential that your child has appropriate kit in order to participate, due to hygiene and safety reasons.

If you have any questions, then please feel free to contact the school office or speak to me at the end of the school day. My door is always open!

Diolch!

Mr Rees